How the Injured Law Enforcement Fund Works
Law Enforcement by the Numbers
- Every 61 hours, a police officer is killed protecting their community.
- Each year, an average of 144 police officers die in the line of duty.
- Nearly 16,000 assaults against law enforcement are perpetrated each year, resulting in nearly 14,000 injuries.
- Over 20,000 officers have been killed in the line of duty since 1971.
- There are over 900,000 law enforcement officers currently serving in the United States.
Who We Are
The Injured Law Enforcement Fund was inspired by the deaths of Las Vegas patrol officers Alyn Beck and Igor Saldo, who were ambushed and killed by two shooters in 2014. Like thousands of other brave men and women, they put their lives on the line to protect their community. Following their deaths, their families have struggled to put their lives back together and make ends meet. This situation is all too common.